Compassion & Choices works with healthcare providers to transform the way end-of-life care is delivered to make it decidedly patient-directed. This includes:
- normalizing and integrating medical aid in dying into standard medical care,
- legitimizing advanced care planning for dementia to minimize unnecessary suffering,
- and addressing inequities in access to end of life care for underserved communities.
As the leading organization advocating for these priorities, Compassion & Choices knows we must be recognized as a leader and partner with the medical community to more fully represent the needs of our constituents and supporters. Our work advises the medical community to embrace and advocate for the principles of patient-directed care. Our efforts are designed to prompt systemic transformation within the medical community.
To accomplish this, we:
- Educate healthcare providers about the full spectrum of patient-directed end-of-life care;
- Support leading experts in publishing and presenting research and best practices in patient-directed end-of-life care;
- Create and promulgate curriculum for medical and nursing students;
- Collaborate with the medical community on best practices, education and awareness activities that will help in reversing disparities in end-of-life care;
- Inspire other organizations and individuals to adopt a model of transformation;
- Support patients through the navigation of their end-of-life decision making and help guide them through the end-of-life options, while inspiring;
- Provide technical and policy support to healthcare systems, hospices and state departments of health with emphasis on national hospice brands;
- Leverage our Healthcare Advisory Council to realize new opportunities to raise Compassion & Choices as a champion for quality end of life healthcare and to support cutting-edge practice reform.
For clinician-specific education or to learn more about our offerings visit our Clinician Resources portal.